Sunday, June 1, 2008

And now for something lighter...

Cherish this time, they're little for such a short while. I heard this a lot when T-boy and Little-L were first born. Huh. Well I'm glad they're over it. And not just because all those pesky newborn habits - like waking all night long, screaming for no apparent reason, not being able to sleep unless strapped to a parent, needing constant and sometimes painful feeding - are behind us. Nope, a big reason I'm glad the newborn stage is over is because we're finally free of baby outfits.

Don't get me wrong, baby outfits are very cute, and I have loved the little matching sets we've had. But the thing is, both halves are rarely clean at the same time. There's always a spew or an overflowing poo that puts one half in the wash... and then you have to pair what's left up with something else.

And guess what? The something else never matches. Not only will the colours be not quite right, but the animal will ALWAYS be wrong. I don't know why it is that baby outfits have to have an animal somewhere, but I do know that it bugs me hugely to have mismatched animals. Like a teddy bear top, and puppy dog bottoms. It's not even just that the two animals are different: their style is always different too. So the teddy bear will be a printed line drawing, but the puppy dog will be cartoon style, and embroidered. I'm tense just thinking about it.

It's actually worse because you have to factor in the bodysuit and the socks and the shoes as well, because of course these all have animals too. So you can have a monkey bodysuit, teddy bear top, puppy dog bottoms, frog socks, and lion shoes. Oh, and the jacket - that has a chicken on it. AAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! I hated, hated, hated seeing such combinations together. But since almost every piece of clothing had an animal on it, it was often like this.

I didn't take any photos of the worst examples, but here's one that, even though it's not so bad, still irks me. That little elephant on the pants is cute, yes, but it screams out I AM PART OF A SET! A BROKEN SET! And what you can't see are the dinosaurs on the shoes - also cute, but so so wrong with the elephant.



Now, thank goodness, the pants no longer have animals on them. And it's warm enough that Little-L doesn't need shoes, or even a jacket. So I can take whatever T-shirt is at the top of the pile and, no matter what the design, not have to think but what will he wear with it? Because honestly, I have enough of that each morning with my own wardrobe.

1 comment:

Slade said...

Emma,

Couldn't agree more! The boys are gorgeous. Loved seeing all your photo's.

Again, so good to talk. You write beautifully, what a gift!

Jules