Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I heart NY

I was in New York this weekend. It was FABULOUS.

I was with my best friend from school so the weekend would have been wonderful wherever we were, but I hadn't expected to enjoy the city so much.

The buildings, the monuments, the fire escapes, the stoops, the water towers, the taxis, the streets, the sirens, the food omg the food, the subway, the musical, the play. I loved it all. And the perfect spring weather - while it was raining here and snowing (!) in Dallas - was the icing on the cake.

I was blown away by how familiar everything was - from the sights to the sounds to the people - even though it was my first time there. I never realised just how much New York is a part of my culture, of what I know, even as a non-American. Normally I don't even really like visiting cities, I'd much rather be in the mountains or someplace wild, but New York, well, I'd go back in a heartbeat. Apart from Sydney, I've never felt so attached to a city before.

At the airport coming home, I had to fight myself not to buy the T-shirt. Because truly:

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Too funny. I had exactly the same compulsion to battle at the airport!