Friday, November 7, 2008

Little engines that can

Téo got a bike for his birthday. I wasn't sure how he'd go on it.

He's never been the most agile child. It's not that he can't do things, he just doesn't always do them very gracefully. So while other kids his age would climb easily onto those rocking things at the park, Téo would awkwardly clamber and get a foot stuck somewhere. Other kids would give one powerful push on their scooter and then breezily glide along, while Téo would hesitantly push-push-push, only daring to glide for a half second at a time.

(I worry that he takes after me.) (I'm sorry sweetheart if you do.)

Even recently I had seen kids a full year younger pedal better than him. So while I wanted him to have a bike, I thought it might take a while before he got the hang of it.

Wrong. It's like he was born to ride it. And the look of capable determination on his face while he pedals - I love it. His expression, it's like a glimpse of an older Téo, the man he will be.

I love that he's so proud of himself, and that he enjoys riding so much.

It was the perfect present.

-------------------------------------------------

In other news, Lukan took two steps today!

No comments: