Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Now it's nothing but flowers

Last September I bottled kilos and kilos of tomatoes, preparing for winter.

They were all used up by mid-November.

So I saved every store-bought bottle we used from then on, and this spring we planted even more tomatoes.

And then it stayed cold. And rainy.

There were those two weeks in June when it was hot - and we ate home-grown broccoli and zucchini for every meal. (Thank you once again, Cook's companion)

Then the cold and the rain returned, all the way up until the first day of school on August 22.

That was the week we got our first ripe tomatoes. Since then there's been just enough for eating each day, but none spare. And this weekend - another holiday weekend - the weather went back to cold and rainy, so I suspect that's the end of them for this year.

Part of me is relieved to have escaped the bottling - especially since the walnuts started falling last week - but it's a bit sad nonetheless.

At least the flowers didn't disappoint.


Speaking of food: I spent a large part of the rainy holiday weekend transferring bookmarked recipes to Quick (cuppa tea) recipes - feel free to use them too! And let me know if I can make the site more useful (although hopefully the labels already make it easy to find something...?)

No comments: