Thursday, January 22, 2009

Getting out of the house

Every now and again I come across a comment saying you are a lazy evil selfish callous cold-hearted monster if you put your kids in childcare. Well, the actual words may be more like kids should stay at home with a parent, but the subtext is clear.

I'm not going to get on any soap box justifying my decision to work, nor my childcare choices. But such comments always make me snort a little.

For the last couple of months, Téo has been begging to go to a garderie (childcare centre). BEGGING. As in Pleeeeaaasssseeee mummy can I go to the garderie? I want to go to the garderie! Please can I go? Please?

We found a garderie at Saas Fe (which meant C and I got in a lot more skiing than we had expected. Yey!) On our way there the first morning, Téo skipped along excitedly telling me all about what he was going to tell his carers. He and Lukan made a beeline for the toys as soon as they arrived, barely even looking up to say goodbye when I left. The next day we decided not to go skiing and to keep the kids with us. Téo sulked. I want to go to le garderie. You are not interesting. (Although, after riding in cable cars, eating chips in a revolving restaurant and going inside a glacier, he did concede that the day hadn't been so bad after all.) The following two mornings they were both happy to be left at the garderie.

We finally got Téo one and a half days a week at a garderie across the valley. When I told him, he squealed in delight. He started last week, and counts the days until the next time he goes.

It's very hard for me to believe he should stay home with me all the time.

No comments: