At 1.45 he set off gleefully, telling everyone we passed that he was starting school today.
He saw the crowd of parents and kids outside the school, fell quiet, tightened his grip on my hand.
We entered the classroom and, unexpectedly, my own tears threatened.
His tears fell.
He buried his face into me, and clung on tightly. (The only one to do so.)
I managed to get him to sit down, calm down, let go, agree I could take 5 steps back to take a photo.

It was time for the parents to leave.
I kissed him goodbye, told him how proud I was that he had calmed himself down, and that I would see him soon.
He cried again, but stayed in his seat.
I left.
1 hour 20 minutes later*, when I picked him up, he was absolutely fine.

This morning he smiled for a photo.

And then he was off.

* Don't get me started on the length of the Swiss school day...
No comments:
Post a Comment