Sunday, May 3, 2009

Illness

So I think I had swine flu.

Stop rolling your eyes - yes you, oh friends of many years. Yes I know I have been convinced I had leukemia. Yes I know my dad once diagnosed me with a brain tumour. So yes, OK, there is a slight tendency to hypochondria in my family. But just hear me out, and then tell me I didn't have swine flu.

You may remember I mentioned Lukan and I were sick the first week we were in Sydney. Well, we were pretty badly sick. My mum, sister-in-law, and brother got it even worse. My sister-in-law, for example, was in bed for 3 days.

Now, my mum and I puzzled over this bug, thinking maybe we were actually infected with two different bugs, because we had very sore throats and bad coughs, as well as nausea and for some of us, vomiting and diarrhea. Plus fevers, lethary, and lack of appetite for many days afterwards. We just couldn't imagine what kind of bug could be both cold-like and gastro-like.

But then, last night I thought I'd catch up on the swine flu outbreak... and found the following:

(Diagram from a very reliable source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_outbreak#Symptoms_and_severity)

Now, it's true we were not in Mexico this year, and actually Lukan - the one who got the rest of us sick - has never been to Mexico, and also our illnesses predate the current outbreak by a good month, and we haven't been in contact with any pigs... but apart from that, IT ALL MATCHES PERFECTLY!

1 comment:

Ramsey said...

Maybe you had Yanky Flu H1N1 that has been circulation for about a year now. It is tamiflu resistant.
I very much Doubt you brought Swine Flu to Sydney.
Regards
Ramsey