Monday, September 29, 2008

So here's an odd thing

Discovering YouTube was a hallelujah moment - there I was with a heap of videos of Téo, and no way to easily show them off to my friends and family on the other side of the world. And then voilà, there was a way. Thank you YouTube!

So I uploaded a heap, sent a few links, videos were watched in the next few days, and that was that.

Except that was not that. Strangers are watching these videos too. And for some reason, two in particular seem quite popular. Nowhere near the league of Charlie biting Harry, which has been viewed something like 53 million times (I'm not exaggerating) and spawned a heap of remakes and even got the stars on TV, but still, way more popular than I'd ever imagined. Or can fathom.

One is of building the train set that Téo got for his second birthday. 486 views to date. Um... why? It's a nice reminder for us, and maybe the family liked it 2 years ago, but who is watching it now? I imagine the people who find it in a search click away as soon as they realise what they're watching.

But people are definitely watching the other popular one, of my niece making shortbread. Someone gave it a five-star rating! Two people have left comments! Recently! And it's not my brother watching it over and over - it already had over 300 views before he even got around to taking a look. Again I don't get it - it's cute yes, but not interesting for people who don't know us, surely?

And all the time, my all-time favourite Téo video has only been viewed 43 times.

It's all very odd indeed.

1 comment:

Joanna Benn said...

and now you'll see more viewers...they're cool vids Em! What do you edit on? x