Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Why did this make me cry?

A couple of weeks ago, a blogger I read posted this video:



Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) from Matthew Harding on Vimeo.

Lukan was on my lap while I watched it, and when the other people started dancing too, I started sobbing.

I'm still finding it hard to articulate why - why it was that a happy video of people dancing should make me so so sad. Why it should remind me of all that is wrong in the world instead of all that is good. Why it should make me think of the painful aspects of life instead of the wonder that it is.

But there I was, face pressed into Lukan's head, his soft baby hair plastered to my skin, wishing with all my might that he will have a peaceful life free of war, misunderstanding, suffering, loneliness, any kind of misery. Crying for the millions of people for whom this is not the case, and fearful that it may not be the case for my children either.

1 comment:

Joanna Benn said...

Wow. What an incredible piece of communication. Made me watery eyed.. but inspired too.

All those people all around the world joining together in a spirit of joy, leaving behind the day to day ..or their problems and just being part of the whole.

Fabulous. Going to use this at my workshop this week in India. xxx